Following the success of our School Dining Club at Broadclyst and Westclyst Community Primary Schools we intend to implement this service when our new school in Monkerton opens. We believe that eating in school should be a pleasurable experience: time spent sharing good food with peers and teachers.
The School Dining Club has become a national case study and is featured on the School Food Plan website where there is information and examples of good practice www.schoolfoodplan.com
The school food standards
- Help children develop healthy eating habits.
- Ensure that they get the energy and nutrition they need across the whole school day.
- Cook food that looks good and tastes delicious.
- Talk to the children about what is on offer and recommend dishes.
- Eliminate queuing.
- Serve the food in a pleasant environment where they can eat with their friends.
- Provide a wide range of foods across the week including a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses or types of meat and fish.
- Use fresh, sustainable and locally-sourced ingredients
- Talk to them about what they are eating.